Saturday, January 30, 2010

R.I.P - J.D Salinger

The literary world has been in mourning this week, due to the death of author J.D Salinger at the age of 91. He is best known for his cult classic 'Catcher in the Rye' and the news of his demise has made me want to revisit this book. My prediction is that the sales of 'Catcher in the Rye' will soar now, as it seems like whenever an artist or writer dies, they have more success than when they were alive. Take Michael Jackson for example. Since his death last year, sales of his albums have rocketed and the younger generation are now just discovering and appreciating his music. It's probably because of society's strange fascination with death, which makes a person more illusive.

In general, I very rarely re-read books. Not only do I have an endless list of new books and authors that I want to experience, but also it worries me that if I re-read a book that I had previously enjoyed, the second time I may not feel the same about it, therefore tarnishing my reading experience. However, there are a small select list of books which I have re-read in the past.

For example when I was a child, I was so obsessed with Roald Dahl's 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', that I would read the book and immediately after I had finished, would return to the beginning and start the book again. It was in some way a comfort blanket, something familiar and I did enjoy it over and over again.

So I am hoping that my re-discovery of J.D Salinger's 'Catcher in the Rye' will be an enjoyable experience, so check back on the blog for my review of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment