Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Feature: My Favourite Book Covers

Firstly, apologies for not updating the blog in a few days, I've been busy with art work and trying to get through 'Brighton Rock'.

I thought that I would try out a new regular feature on the blog called 'My Favourite Book Covers.' Regular readers of the blog will know that it's not just words that attract me to books, but the lure of the front covers. So I thought that I would share some of my favourite book covers and explain a bit about why I like them.

To start, I thought that I would begin with this one:



I discovered 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden, whilst in the library a few years ago. I had returned my books and was looking for some new ones, without any ideas as to what I wanted to read next. However, when I saw the striking image of the Geisha girl with her porcelain skin contrasting against her jet black hair and painted red lips, I knew I had to read this book because I thought that the girl looked both innocent yet mysterious and I wanted to know more about her. To be honest, I had no idea what a Geisha girl was at that point, but as I read the story I was drawn into the mysterious, exotic world of the Geishas and I found that the front cover matched the impressions that I got from the image of the girl.

'Memoirs of a Geisha' is now one of my favourite books and if it wasn't for its front cover, I may have left this fantastic book unread.

No comments:

Post a Comment