Sunday, March 28, 2010

Feature: My Favourite book Covers



You may be looking at this book and wondering why I have chosen to include it as one of my favourite book covers? Well I agree the cover is rather plain, but this is one of my most treasured possessions and I have to include it.

This is a copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's novel 'Treasure Island' which was awarded to my grandad at a school prize day in 1935. I was lucky enough to be given this a few years ago, I suppose because my grandad thought that I would appreciate it most being the bookworm of the family.

I love the soft leather cover it has and I'm not sure what the golden shield on the front signifies, maybe it was the school's coat of arms, but it looks really elegant. I would never dare to actually read this book, because it has such sentimental value. However, I have braved a look inside and its colour illustrations are wonderful.

I appreciate some of the modern book covers available nowadays, but in my opinion, you can't beat the quality of an old leather bound book.

2 comments:

  1. ....and the feel and the smell and the history of books behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! That is why I'm such an advocate for the book shop, see my article here http://theolivareader.blogspot.com/2010/02/save-bookshop.html

    ReplyDelete