Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Favourite Book Covers




Firstly, I want to wish all my lovely readers a very happy Easter. I hope you are all enjoying the break.

For my latest favourite book cover, I have nominated one of my all time favourite books 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' by Roald Dahl. This isn't the exact cover of the copy that I owned as a child, but it's the closest one that I could find.

Quite frankly, I could pick any of Roald Dahls' book covers. They may even feature in future book cover selections. The reason being, is because they are illustrated by Quentin Blake.

I adore Blake's quirky, edgy style of illustration, his frantic line work seems to be able to convey movement and a character's personality, by only using a few lines. His work is so full of energy and excitement, that combined with Dahl's equally quirky style of writing, in my opinion, makes a perfect partnership. There was a exhibition of his work in London a few years ago and I would have loved to have visited it. However maybe one day, I hope to be lucky enough to catch it.

In the meantime, I'm tempted to buy another copy of 'Charlie and Chocolate Factory' to replace the one that I lost. In that way, it will help me to recapture the fond memories of my childhood in which Roald Dahl books, played such a bit part.

No comments:

Post a Comment