Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Getting to know Spangle.....

I don't usually take part in challenges or anything similar, like on other book blogs. However, I was reading the 'Stuck in a Book' blog and there was an interesting set of questions, which I thought I would answer. Any other book bloggers feel free to copy and paste the questions on your blog and give your own answers!

What is your favourite drink while reading?

I don't have a particular favourite drink while reading. However if I'm reading on the balcony on a hot day, then I have something like a cooling orange squash or Coke.

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

The idea horrifies me. If I want to write any notes about a book (which is rarely, but I think I might have to for the sake of the blog), then I write in one of my many notebooks.

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat?

I have a small collection of book-marks. At the moment, I'm using a beautiful silver one with a butterfly on the top, which was a Christmas present last year. Bending pages back should be made illegal!

Fiction, non-fiction or both?

Mostly fiction. However, I'm not adverse to non-fiction either.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere?

I try to read until the end of the chapter, but if that's not possible, then I stop where there is a natural break, for example at the end of a paragraph. I can't just stop in the middle of sentence.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

No, throwing books is just wrong.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

Sometimes, but if the word doesn't stop me understanding a sentence, then I don't bother.

What are you currently reading?

'Three Girls and their Brother' by Theresa Rebeck

What is the last book you bought?

'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?

Probably the balcony. However I can block out the noise of the television and read on the sofa.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?

Stand-alones. However, I do read the occasional series.


Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?


Kate Atkinson or the novel 'Memoirs of Geisha' by Arthur Golden

How do you organise your books (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)?

I did try and sort my books by title and author. However as I bought more books, I had to put them where I could find space.

background noise or silence?

I prefer silence, but usually end up reading with the television blaring in the background.

3 comments:

  1. Apologises for the strange dating labels on my posts at the moment. I actually posted this on 2nd June, rather than 1st, as it states. Not sure what is going on with Blogger at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I answered these in my head as I read. Liked the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to read everyone's responses to these questions - I find that I am always recommending memoirs of a geisha as well!

    thanks for sharing

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete