Friday, June 18, 2010

Warning: Reading can damage your health

Well reading can be damaging to your health, only if you're me. However, I will get to that later!

This week, I've been busy with the blog. In one day, I wrote a review on Siobhan Dowd's novel 'A Swift Pure Cry' and then I decided that it would be interesting to include the first line of each novel.

You can tell a lot from reading the first line of a novel. The first line can have impact, excitement, humour and more often than not, give an indication as to whether or not you are going to enjoy a novel. The front cover of a novel may have the seduction factor, but in my opinion, the first line reels you in to wanting more.

Of all of the novels that I have reviewed for the blog, so far my favourite first line, is from Graham Greene's novel 'Brighton Rock':

'Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours, that they meant to murder him.'

There is so much drama and impact in this one line, that it made me want to continue to read the novel. By including the first line of every novel that I read, it's also interesting to compare and contrast them, from each other. So far, I have found that the first lines of every novel, have varied differently and I hope that you find it interesting too. What are your favourite first lines?

Anyway, due to the fact that I have been busy typing at the computer, plus lugging books back and forth, I have hurt my back. It's my own fault, I shouldn't have tried to do too much in one go and now I'm paying the price. I should be fine, but I'm keeping away from the computer if I can. Although I love looking at the latest blog posts and so it's going to be difficult!

I'm hoping to rest over the weekend and hopefully I will be well enough to blog on Monday. So I'll see you then!

3 comments:

  1. Well, how about this for an unusual beginning -
    (The Vet's Duaughter' by Barbara Comyns)

    'A man with small eyes and a ginger moustache came and spoke to me when I was thinking of something else.'

    He enters and leaves in the first few sentences.

    Look after your back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my blog! It led me to your blog, and I'm really liking it! I understand what you mean. I've "injured" myself from books too, from lugging around loads of them at book sales and things like that haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, I'm glad that you like the blog. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

    Aguja, thanks for the first line suggestion. The line has intrigue and makes you want to find out more, even if the character described, is only featured in a few lines.

    ReplyDelete