Saturday, September 25, 2010

Recommendations

I love book recommendations. If someone suggests a novel, not only am I being drawn onto a path which leads me into discovering a new story, genre or author but also in some ways, it lets me into the mind of the person who recommended the book in the first place and what makes them tick.....does that sound a bit weird?!

So yesterday, I was pleased to receive an e-mail from Mike the writer of the blog 'Island Life:The Blue Island Blog', recommending that I read 'The House at Otowi Bridge' by Peggy Pond Church.

After receiving a good reaction from the readers of his blog and after reading a brief description of it myself, I thought it looked interesting. So I have ordered it and it's winging its way to me as we speak.


Then, later on last night when I was at my usual Friday night Intercambio group (where English and Spanish people get together to practise their English/Spanish skills, with the help of a drink or two!), the topic of conversation lead to 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett.

At the moment, the Spanish television channel Cuatro is airing an adaptation of the novel and everyone was raving about it. So I decided to watch the first episode and from what I could understand (which wasn't everything, being in Spanish, but enough to get the gist), I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to watching more of the episodes.

I am tempted to also purchase the novel, as I was told that it's much better than the programme, but as it's a brick sized novel I'm wondering if it would be too heavy going. So, this is where you come in.

Have you read 'The Pillars of the Earth' or any other of Ken Follett's novels? Do you think it would be worth embarking on such a huge novel? Also, if you have read 'The House of Otowi Bridge', I'd love to hear you thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment