Monday, November 8, 2010

'Melissa's Writing Month'-Update on week 1

Last week, I decided to follow 'Melissa's Writing Month' on the 'This too' blog. This required setting myself realistic writing goals and sticking to them. After a month, you should report back on how things went. Well, I've decided to do things differently and write a progress report each week, to tell you how it's going.

In general, it's going well. I wrote 1833 words last week, which has taken me to the end of the 4th chapter of my short story. I have slightly clearer plans about how the plot is going to progress. However, I still have a few things to clarify for example, a few location problems and names for fictional towns. As I'm not great on geography, I seem to find it difficult too look at the landscape my characters are placed in, as a whole. I mostly concentrate on where the characters are at each specific moment and I really need to develop the landscape as a whole, so that my readers are more immersed in the story.

I have also set myself the target of finishing the first draft of this story, in 8 weeks. I could probably finish this story in less time, however, I like the idea of writing at a slower pace. This is because I like to have a little freedom to change things and this approach allows for leniency in plot, in case some element unexpectantly organically (I should really plan my stories in a more rigid way, but I just find it difficult to work like that). Also, I think that giving myself an 8 week writing plan, helps me to fit my writing around things going on the real world, like house work and other obligations that I have.

So ,week 1 has been successful I think. I just hope that I can maintain the momentum and get my story finished!

What about you? Are you participating in 'Melissa's Writing Month? Or have you set yourself any of your own writing challenges? I would love to know how you're getting on.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out again! I owe you an e-mail. :-) Last week was hectic and I got a lot of words out too. I'm focusing on a short story and hope to have the first draft complete by the end of the week with a lot of edits to follow. I'm glad you have a great plan for finishing up your story in 8 weeks. Sounds like a good timeline. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete