Friday, December 31, 2010
As the year comes to a close....
Now that the year is coming to an end, I have been reminiscing over the books I have read over the last year. There have been some bad reads, but mostly I have spent the year discovering some great authors and rediscovering old ones.
In total I racked up 27 reads, 2 of these were abandoned. A modest number, considering that there are some book bloggers who have read a total of 70 books and more this year. However I think that 27 is quite an impressive number, considering the amount of upheaval I have had to deal with over the last few months. Besides, it's quality not quantity that counts!
Here are my top reads of 2010 (in no particular order):
1. 'The Time Traveler's Wife'- Audrey Niffenegger
2. 'Around the World in 80 Days'- Jules Verne
3. 'The Vet's Daughter'- Barbara Comyns
4. 'A Swift Pure Cry'- Siobhan Dowd
5. 'Started Early, Took my Dog'- Kate Atkinson
6. 'The Road'- Cormac McCarthy
7 'The Rapture'- Liz Jensen
8. 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog'- Muriel Barbery
9. 'Memoirs of A Geisha'- Arthur Golden
10. 'The Boleyn Inheritance'- Philippa Gregory
11. 'Last Chance to See'- Mark Carwardine
It's more traditional to have a top 10 list. However, I felt that I had to sneak in Mark Carwardine's 'Last Chance to See', because it is such a wonderful book.
I haven't made any resolutions as such for next year, except to read more and finish writing my short story, in order to send to a publisher (or 10!).
Happy New Year!