Friday, December 31, 2010

As the year comes to a close....



Now that the year is coming to an end, I have been reminiscing over the books I have read over the last year. There have been some bad reads, but mostly I have spent the year discovering some great authors and rediscovering old ones.

In total I racked up 27 reads, 2 of these were abandoned. A modest number, considering that there are some book bloggers who have read a total of 70 books and more this year. However I think that 27 is quite an impressive number, considering the amount of upheaval I have had to deal with over the last few months. Besides, it's quality not quantity that counts!

Here are my top reads of 2010 (in no particular order):

1. 'The Time Traveler's Wife'- Audrey Niffenegger

2. 'Around the World in 80 Days'- Jules Verne

3. 'The Vet's Daughter'- Barbara Comyns

4. 'A Swift Pure Cry'- Siobhan Dowd

5. 'Started Early, Took my Dog'- Kate Atkinson

6. 'The Road'- Cormac McCarthy

7 'The Rapture'- Liz Jensen

8. 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog'- Muriel Barbery

9. 'Memoirs of A Geisha'- Arthur Golden

10. 'The Boleyn Inheritance'- Philippa Gregory

11. 'Last Chance to See'- Mark Carwardine


It's more traditional to have a top 10 list. However, I felt that I had to sneak in Mark Carwardine's 'Last Chance to See', because it is such a wonderful book.

I haven't made any resolutions as such for next year, except to read more and finish writing my short story, in order to send to a publisher (or 10!).

Happy New Year!

11 comments:

  1. And I wish you all the best for 2011 ... plus a publisher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy happy New Year! There are several books on your 'best of' list that I know and love, so I can see I should make a note of the ones I haven't read! I absolutely think it's quality of reading that counts, not quantity, so here's to more wonderful reading in 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a lot of those on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the list. Best wishes in all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful list! I started The Elegance of the Hedgehog, but set it aside. I'll give it another go in a week or so.

    Thank you for stopping by the Cottage and leaving such kind comments.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments. If my list has inspired any of you to read one or two titles from it, then don't forget to send me a link to your review. I'd be really interested in reading your opinions.

    Teresa, personally I loved 'The Elegance of The Hedgehog', but it might not be to everyone's tastes. However, I do think that it is worth reading until the end. Again, I'd be very interested to read your thoughts on this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greattttt blog you've got! And 27 is an impressive number, congrats! I read that The Road was an amazing book. I saw the movie and thought it was fantastic. Viggo Mortensen is an incredible actor and don't even get me started on the kid. Exceptional performances, I thought it was extremely moving.
    Kiss
    Lula
    ps: Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lula thanks for stopping by the blog. I haven't seen the film adaptation of 'The Road', but seeing as you give this a good recommendation, I might watch it some time so thanks for that.

    Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ojal√° tuviera tiempo para leerr tanto... my work family and blogging take up most of my time and than when is time for bedd... i just go to sleep. seems i can only read when on holiday
    Great blog you have
    thanks for your visit!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny that one of my favourite books of the year, and one of my least favourite, made your list! So glad to see The Vet's Daughter there - sorry I couldn't get on with The Elegance of the Hedgehog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' is a book that's not to everyone's tastes. However, I liked both this and 'The Vet's Daughter', because they are novels that offer something different. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete