Monday, December 20, 2010

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part1'

From time to time not only do I like to feature book reviews on the blog,
but also reviews of film adaptions of popular novels.
Yesterday, I went to the cinema with some friends to see 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part1', the newest installment in the series. I have been looking forward to watching this film on the big screen, as I'm a really big fan of Harry Potter (to the point that I'm a little bit of a geek!). However living in Spain, I had no option but to see this film in Spanish. Luckily though, I have a reasonable level of Spanish,so I thought that I would see how much of the film I could understand. Also it was an excuse to call watching Harry Potter, 'educational.' In the end, I understood quite a lot.
For those of you who have been living in a cave for the last few years, the Harry Potter series of books and films focuses on the main character Harry Potter who as a baby,is left orphaned after the evil wizard Voldemort kills Harry's parents. He is taken to live with his unpleasant aunt Pertunia,uncle Vernon and bully of a cousin Dudley.On his 11th birthday, Harry discovers his magical heritage and is invited to study at 'Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and wizardry'.

There he meets Ron Weasley and Hermoine Granger and together, they embark on many adventures throughout the series of books and films, mainly though, Harry battles to rid the world of the evil Voldemort.

Coming back to 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1', this film is an adaptation of J.K Rowling's 7th novel in the series. However the director David Yates, decided that it would be more appropriate to split the novel into two parts (either for storytelling or probably financial purposes, I'm not sure.)
In this first part,the wizarding world is in turmoil. Voldemort's army of followers are causing havoc and the Ministry of Magic has been taken over by Dolores Umbridge a particularly deranged ex-teacher of Hogwarts, who wants to rid the wizarding world of 'Mudbloods' (wizards from non/half wizarding parentage).

To restore order and destroy Voldemort, Harry (with the help of Ron and Hermoine)has to find all of the Horcruxes (pieces of Voldermort's soul hidden in different objects) and destroy them, before Voldemort can restore his power.
This film is dark, full of tension and had lots of moments which had me jumping out of my seat.It also has emotional moments and in general, is more mature than any of the other films in the series. There is a point in the middle on the film in which the excitement wained a little however,with fantastic special effects and a wonderful cast full of famous British actors and actresses, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1' is a very enjoyable film. I can't wait for the final installment!!
Have you seen this film or any of the other 'Harry Potter' films? What did you think?





6 comments:

  1. I am one of the cave people! But I enjoyed reading your post ... and may succumb in the future. It is not that I have avoided H.P. but that I somehow missed it. I can't even say how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a loyal reader of the Harry Potter series from the start. I've seen all the movies, except for the Deathly Hallows Part 1. I admire and commend Rowlings for her imagination and instilling an excitement for reading in the younger generations.

    Thank you for stopping by The Cottage on the Garden and leaving a comment.

    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa I'm glad that I'm not the only Harry Potter fan! I also love J.K Rowling's imagination and also the messages of friendship, loyalty and good vs evil in the series. Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

    Aguja I'm glad that you enjoyed this post and I think that you should give Harry Potter a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it! And kudos to you for watching it in Spanish. I am also a Harry Potter 'geek' and love all the films and books. It's such a wonderful series, one I will cherish always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I missed some of the funnier bits, but I understood enough to follow what was going on.

    I love this series, even though I'm getting on for 30!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Spangle,
    Thank you for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment.
    My family and I are big fans of Harry Potter.
    Each one has a different approach.
    I love all movies. I found them romantic, scary, funny, and adorable. I can continue for ages.
    My daughter says she has "complex views" on Harry Potter, but this series has been part of her life since she was a child. Your feelings about something tend to evolve as you grow up.
    My husband is a big fan of the books. I think he even reread them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete