Friday, December 10, 2010

Long time no blog...

Firstly apologises for having not blogged for a month. It's not as if I haven't had anything to blog about. In fact, I have quite a lot. However, instead of writing about books the recent events in my real life, have been something out of a novel.


Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin....

It started over a month ago. We applied to update to faster Internet and (legal) UK TV. The company we went with said that they would have to turn off our Internet for a week, whilst they take over the phone line from the previous company. In the meantime, they would send our new router and a TV set top box. The prospect of being without Internet wasn't great, but I thought 'It's only for a week, I'm sure that I can manage'.....little did I know, that we would be without Internet for a lot longer.

After a week of waiting , there was no sign of the new router. So we decided to telephone the company to find out where it was. Now, I've heard A LOT of excuses in my time and thought that nothing could surprise me. However, when the company told me that the lorry that was transporting a new delivery of equipment to their offices had been hijacked, I realised that life still has it's surprises!

The company apologised (well it was clearly not their fault, who could have predicted something like that!?) and said that they had received a new delivery of equipment and would send our router shortly. Time went by and again, no delivery.

By this time, my mum travelled to England for a pre-Christmas visit and so it was up to me to chase the company. After many attempts to get in contact with them, it turned out that they hadn't even sent out our router as they had said they had! So I was on the phone again and this time they said that they would send it as soon as possible. Sure enough a few days later, our package arrived. So I set about installing the new router.

Before attempting to connect an Internet router I hadn't realised, that it's all very well that I know how to use a computer; I'm an expert at blogging, using Facebook and EBay, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I know how to set one up. However, I was assured that it was easy and so I embarked on the task at hand.

After wading through a sea of cables, I wasn't getting anywhere. So I phoned for the advice of people who might know what they were doing. When that didn't work, I phoned the company's helpline and it seemed as if I had connected everything up correctly. So the mystery was, why wasn't the Internet working?

Yesterday, the mystery was solved. A technician came to the house and it turned out that no matter what I would have done, I wouldn't not be able to connect our Internet, because one of the cables the company had been sent us, was faulty! It took 5 minutes to correct the problem and now I'm back in the blogosphere.
That doesn't mean that this story has a happy ending just yet though. We still have issues with a faulty cable which connects the TV box to the TV, so we have to wait for a replacement.

However, I am finally able to sit at my computer and post reviews for Audrey Niffenegger's 'Her Fearful Symmetry' and Titania Hardie's novel 'The Rose Labyrinth', an update on 'Melissa's Writing Month' and a long over due 'Sunday Snippet'. All of these will follow shortly.
In the meantime, I'm off to catch up on all of the blog posts I've missed reading!












4 comments:

  1. Oh man! That's so annoying! Glad you're back and hope you got a lot of writing and reading done while you didn't have the internet to distract you! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I didn't get as much writing done as I would have liked. More details of that on my 'Melissa's Writing Month' final update post on Monday!

    However, I did manage to get at least some reading done though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the graphics!

    Wecome back!

    ReplyDelete