Monday, December 13, 2010

'Melissa's Writing Month'

By now, 'Melissa's Writing Month' on the 'This Too..' blog will be over. However, I still wanted to tell you about the progress I have made with my short story whilst participating.

In total, I managed to write approximately 5279 words. Before I came up with a final word count I thought that I hadn't written much, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I would have liked to have written more though.

However what the month taught me, is that maybe less is more. Why? Well, I had dedicated myself to writing every day, doing hour writing sessions at a time. However, as I have a rather dodgy back, I overdid it and ended up catching a nerve which was not only painful but set my writing schedule further back, as I was unable to do any writing at all. So maybe being strict with my writing schedule, is not the right thing for me. Short, casual burst of being productive will hopefully help me to reach my goal of finishing the short story, without sacrificing my health.

Overall though, I'm glad that I participated in 'Melissa's Writing Month'. It gave me the incentive to focus on my writing and therefore I hope that this will help me towards a finished novel in the future.

Have any writers out there participated in 'Melissa's Writing Month' or any other writing initiatives? If so, did you find them helpful?

3 comments:

  1. 5,297 words is AWESOME. Congratulations! Good luck as you continue on with all of your words and I hope your back feels better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have seen them ... and they are awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thanks for the kinds words!

    A lot of the stuff that I have written might be a bit ropey in parts, but at least I have something to edit in the future. I just hope that I can get back into the story, after the long break I've had to take from writing, due to my back.

    ReplyDelete