Thursday, December 30, 2010

Papery Presents

In my last post, I mentioned that I had received some book/papery related Christmas presents. Now that I'm feeling slightly better; although I'm still not 100%, I thought that I would share them with you.

Firstly, my niece had commissioned this hand-made notebook holder. It is beautifully embroidered with shoes,bows and patterns all around it. Also on the front, my name (which I'm not going to reveal!) is embroidered, with 'Merry Christmas, Love (then my niece's name).



When you open it, the panels which hold a chosen notebook in place are embroidered with my name on one side and as you can see, on the other it is lined with lovely flowers.

As well as a notebook holder, I also received this gorgeous notebook:

This notebook is from a collection of exquisite hand made papery items made by Lala, who posts on the 'My Castle in Spain' blog.
On the front in French, it has a wonderful phrase which translates as:

'Hier- yesterday, the sky was the colour of an orange, mixed with pink with a streak of azure...'


This phrase evokes images of a warm sunset or sunrise, in the middle of summer.



Inside, the book is lined with a wonderfully vibrant lining and contains sumptuously thick paper, which I'm looking forward to filling up with ideas. Although I may have to try and improve my handwriting, to justify marking this book!

Then finally, I received a 'Novel Writing Kit', which I love:



Not only is this fun, but I think it's something that I need, in order to boost my writing motivation. The kit was compiled by Chris Baty, the founder of 'NaNoWriMo Writing Month', an initiative which I have previously posted about on the blog.



Inside, it's filled with a book of writing tips, motivational cards, stickers and even a badge that says 'Novelist', in order to help any budding writer to complete 50,000 words in a month.

I have had some skepticism about 'NaNoWriMo Writing Month' in the past. However, I think that I'm going to give this a go. I'm also going to encourage others to join in with this fun project, so that we can compete against each other. Unfortunately, the rules state that I can't simply tack 50,000 words onto any existing work, so I'm going to have to wait until I have finished the first draft of my short story. So some time next year, I'm going to see if this works.

In general, I've had some great presents this year. However, I love my papery presents.

What books/papery gifts did you receive this Christmas?

4 comments:

  1. The novel writing kit was from a recommendation by India Knight, who swears by one - and she is a published author, so if it's good enough for her...
    I know I promised I'd tell you where it's from but I've just realised you're going to have to wait until 23rd January before I do :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful papery presents to take you through to the new year. Enjoy them to the full!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that with all these wonderful gifts your writing motivation might be over the top. I hope I used the right expression for it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. Santa I've looked up India Knight and discovered her blog 'Posterous'. It's great. I'm very intrigued about the website you keep mentioning also!

    Aguja thank you, I will enjoy my papery presents to the fullest.

    Olga, I think that you're right, the gifts will give me the motivation I need, to finish my short story and other writing projects!

    ReplyDelete