Thursday, January 6, 2011

Twelfth Night...


Now that we have reached Twelfth Night, it's time for the Christmas festivities to end and for us to take the Christmas tree and decorations down. Being in Spain, we have an excuse to hang on to the holidays for one extra day as today it's 'Kings Day', a time in which the three kings come and bring presents to good children and coal to the bad.

Every year, I'm left with a stack of Christmas cards which I hate to get rid of. I always say that I'm going to do something with them. However I stuff them in a drawer and let them accumulate until I have no choice, but to throw them away.

Living in an age in which we are all encouraged to recycle, I also like the idea that my Christmas cards will go on to fulfill a completely different use. So, what do I do with them?

I appreciate that this is meant to be a book blog, but I'm sure some of you out there have some creativity. So any suggestions, both serious or silly are welcome!

7 comments:

  1. Aw! Is that your Christmas tree? It is lovely. You can make tags for presents with them .... some people make their cards for next year with the fronts of this year's, mounting them onto new card and perhaps only using a part of the original card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No this isn't my christmas tree. I had planned to take a picture of the tree, but it's too dark to take pictures today. So I 'borrowed' this picture from the internet!

    Thanks for your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year dear Spangle ! isn't it fun in a way to have this extra holiday ?
    now about the stack of Christmas cards, i understand the problem...for me it's impossible to get rid of them so i do like you, stack them..
    But i think Aguja's got a great idea here, to make gifts tags for your presents next year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am off the gift tag variety, been doing it since I was a little girl!

    In the UK we have places where you can take your cards to and they are donated to The Woodland Trust for charity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great question I don't have the answer to. I love the suggestions above and I have to see where you can take your cards to for charity. I bet Martha Stewart knows what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. La idea de Aguja es fantástica yo la he llevado a cabo en más de una ocasión, se ha de tener en cuenta de no reenviar la tarjeta de navidad a la misma persona que te la envió, je je.....
    Hasta luego, un hasta luego es mejor que un adios....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't looked at this post for a while, so thanks for all of your suggestions. Jo, I don't think that there is such thing as card recycling bins, if anyone know otherwise then let me know!

    Agus gracias por su idea. Es el primero comentario en español! Los otros han dicho que en Inglaterra, hay sitios donde es posible reciclar tarjetas de navidad. Es igual en España?

    ReplyDelete