Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Book Slurge

Apologises for not having been around much over the last week, I have been busy with visitors. Now that they have gone, I can get back some blogging/writing normality.

It's been a while since I've had a book slurge, but last week, I went a little bit mad. Here's the stash of books I bought last week:





'Eclipse' by Stephenie Meyer
- This is a 13 disc CD audio book set which I managed to pick up for €9. I'm far too old to like this series, but 'The Twilight Saga' is one of my guilty pleasures. I just have to find out what happens next!

'Don Quixote' by Miguel de Cervantes- I could have bought a dual (English-Spanish) version of this novel. However I chose to buy the English version because at over 900 pages, it will probably take me a long time to complete this. If it were in Spanish, I hate think how long it would take for me to read this novel.

'Room' by Emma Donoghue- I have read many reviews about this novel on the blogosphere and also on 'The TV Book Club' and thought that this looked an interesting read.

'Slipstream: A Memoir' by Elizabeth Jane Howard- After my review of 'Falling' by Elizabeth Jane Howard, one of the readers of this blog recommended that I read this autobiography of the author.

'Two Cures for Love: Selected Poems 1979-2006' by Wendy Cope- This is another 'The Oliva Reader' follower recommendation. I previously blogged about wanting to read some poetry and I was recommended this author.

'The Prestige' by Christopher Priest - I have seen and enjoyed the film. However I was unaware that this was a novel, until I saw a review for this one another book blog.

'The Maltese Falcon' by Dashiell Hammett
- This is the latest read for the online book groupon the 'Book Group Online' website. In my college days, I also had to watch the film for my Media Studies course, so I think that this novel is going to bring back fond memories.

'The Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett- A few months ago, I did start to watch the television adaptation of this novel. Even though I enjoyed the first installment, I was unable to watch the rest of the series, so I thought that I would read the book instead. Apparently, the book is better anyway.

I know I shouldn't have bought all of these books, as I still have quite a large TBR pile. However, I couldn't resist!

Have you read any of these books? Have you been on a book splurge lately?

7 comments:

  1. I finally got around to reading "Pillars of the Earth" last year and really enjoyed it.

    My motivation was that the series was coming up and I wanted to read the book first. Read the book but haven't watched the series yet even though it's in my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always on a book splurge, can't help myself. But it isn't a problem. I could stop anytime. Really, I could...

    Hope you enjoy the Elizabeth Jane Howard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books of all time. I read it when it first came out, reread for a college class, and then read it a third time for the joy of reading it. I've seen the television adaptation and was not very impressed. There are so many layers and complexities to the novel that it does not easily translate to movie. No splurges, but I just finished a wonderful book, Astrid & Veronika by Linda Olsson. I hated for it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big fan of Wendy Cope - do share your favourite poems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have got Room to read but it is still sitting on my shelf!

    Trying to resist a book splurge it could get messy and expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I think it's exciting to have a big TBR pile :-) The only thing I've read on your list is Room which was one of my favorite books of 2010. I also loved movie version of The Maltese Falcon. Hope the book is just as good. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read none of these, yet. I am indulging in the fruits iof my own latest book splurge. There is hardly anything more satisying than being surrounded by a TBR pile .... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete