Saturday, February 12, 2011

'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck



Publisher: Mandarin

ISBN:
0-7493-0404-9

Length: 113 pages

What the Blurb says:

'The classic novel which established John Steinbeck as one of the world's most celebrated writers.

This is the story of George and Lennie, two itinerant farm workers- one of nimble wits, the other of huge physique- whose simple arrangement keeps them in work. But even his best friend and mentor cannot save Lennie from his worst enemy- his own strength...'


Opening line: 'A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hill-side bank and runs deep and green.'

What's good about this novel?

This book has fully formed, believable characters. I thought that the relationship between Lennie and George had real emotion. The story is extremely well written, Steinbeck is able to describe the surroundings of the characters by only using a few, effective words.

Even though this novel is only 113 pages long, 'Of Mice and Men' is a complete story. What I mean by that, is that the reader is given good explanation of the character's back stories, before progressing onwards. I also thought that the drama and tension that was created in such a short book, was brilliant. I particularly liked the impact of the ending.

What's wrong with this novel?

If I had a slight complaint, I would say that it takes a while to get into this book. However, I would suggest that you keep on reading, because this novel is really worth persisting with. Also I found the language a little hard to understand at times, although I do think that the speech adds to the authenticity of the characters.

Is this worth a read?

Yes I think so. I didn't have the opportunity to read this at school, as most people do and should. However, even though it has taken me 30 years to read 'Of Mice and Men', it was definitely worth it. This is a 'must read' classic.

1 comment:

  1. I did enjoy this book more the 2nd time, when I read it for pleasure and not because I had to:)

    ReplyDelete