Sunday, March 13, 2011

'Sunday Snippet'

I finished reading Edith Wharton's 'Short Stories' last night (a review will appear on the blog in the next few days). Now, I am reading 'The Maltese Falcon' by Dashiell Hammett. I remember watching the film version of this when I was doing Media Studies at college, so I think it would be interesting to revisit the story but in book form.

Here's this week's snippet:

Page 30: 'Miss Wonderly, in a belted green crêpe silk dress, opened the door of apartment 1001 at the Coronet.'

'The Maltese Falcon' by Dashiell Hammett

Whatever you're doing, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I've seen the film but not read the book - I'd interested to know how they compared. Last year, on a similar tack, I was enraptured by Chandler's The Big Sleep (wonderful succinct writing) and then just had to watch the film. It was good, as you'd expect of one that renowned, but it missed a lot, both in story and subtlety terms, from the original novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, 'The Big Sleep' was a film I had to watch as part of Film Studies at uni. I love film noir detective films, as they ooze atmosphere and drama. I shall have to search for the book version of 'The Big Sleep', once I have finished 'The Maltese Falcon'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have strange feelings towards The Maltese Falcon. I haven't read the book, though I feel like I should. Thank you for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is a crepe dress? I hope it looks as good as a crepe tastes. Enjoy your next read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point Melissa, I'm not entirely sure what a crepe dress is! From what I gather, crepe material is like the crepe paper you use at school. If anyone knows what it is, let us know!

    Nevertheless, I can't get the image of a woman wearing a dress made of pancakes, out of my head. It's like something Lady Gaga would wear!

    ReplyDelete