Wednesday, May 25, 2011

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday- Art Exhibition 2011

For the past 4-5 years I have been going to an art group twice a week, at a local education centre. I failed art at school, but I have always been interested in creative things. Then a few years ago, I saw a programme called 'Star Portraits'.

It was a programme presented by one of my art heroes Rolf Harris and involved a panel of completely different artists, creating a portraits of a different celebrity each week. Each celebrity would choose the portrait they liked best and that would be displayed in an art gallery and also go on to hang on the walls of their home.

Observing the wide variety of styles, mediums and techniques the artists were using, I began to realised how flexible art really was and it amazed me how people could make a people or object appear on canvas or paper. It was like magic.

Despite my previous failings with producing anything good at school, by seeing this programme, it made me think that i'd like to give art another go. So, I bought a cheap set of pencils and a sketch book and began to draw. The things I were doing were not any good, but I was enjoying myself so I continued.

Cut a year or two later and during a conversation with a good friend I mentioned that I would like to join an art class. It was a good thing that I mentioned this, because my friend said that there was a art class at the local school twice a week. The only catch, was that everyone in the class (including the teacher) was Spanish. I had some reservations about joining this class, but as I had some Spanish, I thought not only would the class help me to learn more about Art, but it would be a good opportunity to practise my Spanish.

I found the class difficult to begin with, I found that I could not draw or paint very well, but I was determined to keep going. I'm glad I did, because 4-5 years on, I'm in a class I love and my painting/drawing is slowly improving. I may not be the best in the class, but the people in it, no matter what level they are, are so encouraging and friendly.

Towards the end of each year, all of the art classes (they have evening as well as morning classes) have an exhibition of their painting at La Casa De Cultura (Culture House, which is open to the public for a week. This is nice because we can show people what we have been doing over the year and it's great for the pupils to see each other's work. Here's a taster of this year's exhibition:















The painting above is my entry for this year's exhibition. My niece is a massive fan of 'Gone With The Wind' and so this is my interpretation of the two main characters Scarlet O'Hara and Rhett Butler. This will be winging its way to my nicece, after the exhibition.



The piece above was done my my friend and fellow blogger Aguja (who writes the excellent blog 'Wordstitcher'). My photography does not do this painting justice, as it's full of wonderful detail.








As you can see there have been some fabulous pieces on display and I'm looking forward to seeing what will be in next year's art exhibition.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love it that you and aguja know one another since I read both of your blogs religiously! I never knew that! haha. Your painting is really wonderful. I love it. You have a great talent. I keep saying that I want to take a painting class but I have a lot of the same reservations that you did- I've never been a good 'artist' and didn't do well in school with it. But you're making me think differently about it. Thanks for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is beautiful. You must be so pleased with it.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melissa and Dizzy for your comments.

    Dizzy, thanks for the compliment! I'm reasonably pleased with my painting, but there are things that I could improve..I'm never completely happy with my pictures!

    Melissa, Aguja and I have been friends for many years now. We also edit each others writing! It's lovely that you read both our blogs religiously.

    If you want to have a go at Art then go for it! If you're going to find an Art class, then I would suggest trying to find a group which is more relaxed.

    In my class, there are some fantastic artists, but none of them have egos. It's important to find a mix of people who encourage each other and give constructive criticism, rather than criticize to make themselves feel superior (does that make sense?). I hope you have success with that and I look forward to finding out how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for recreating the art exhibition, Spangle ... and a message for Melissa .... Spangle is right, just 'go for it and enjoy .... and although Spangle and I are very different in age, our minds fuse! We both love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful artworks! Love the man with the guitar best. xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it's amazing isn't it? The woman who did this, is fantastic at drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky girl you are! To visit such an exhibition is one of the greatest pleasures in life.

    ReplyDelete