Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Snippet

I've just embarked on a literary voyage. In the past, I have debated whether or not to read 'The Pillars Of The Earth' by Ken Follett. Due to it being a massive 1076 pages, the prospect of reading this novel intimidated me. I wasn't sure that I could hold my attention for the time it would take to finish it.

Last year, I started to watch the television adaptation of the novel and really enjoyed it, but a friend of mine told me not to bother with the series and read the book instead.

So I've finally taken the plunge and bought 'The Pillars Of the Earth'. Due to its size, there won't be a review of this for some time, although a review of 'Tin Toys' by Ursula Holden will appear on the blog shortly. I may blog from time to time, to tell you how I'm progressing with this novel and any other book related chat.

Here's the snippet:

Page 120: 'The idea was ludicrous: the earl would put him in a dungeon and throw away the key.'

Even though 'The Pillars Of The Earth' is a lengthy read, I'm finding this surprisingly easy to get through. What the longest book that you have read?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with this lengthy read! I think the longest thing I've ever read is Anna Karenina, which I looooved. Gone With the Wind and The Fountainhead are up there but I can't remember their page counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd quite like to read 'Gone With The Wind' (I'm actually painting a picture of the two main characters for my art class at the moment, so it feels like I can't get away from 'Gone with the Wind'!) and 'Anna Karenina' myself.

    Although I'll see how I get on with 'The Pillars of The Earth' first, before I decide whether or not to read any more lengthy novels!

    ReplyDelete