Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday Snippet

My progress with reading 'The Pillars Of The Earth' by Ken Follett is going well. The story is gripping and the characters are very well crafted. The only problem I'm having with this novel, is that the pace of it is slow. This may because I'm not used to reading such a huge novel (it has over 1000 pages) AND I don't have much patience. Nevertheless, I'm still enjoying this book and will continue to read on.

Here's this week's snippet:

Page 211 'William Hamleigh and his father had set off in the middle of the night, with almost a hundred knights and men-at-arms on horseback, and Mother in the rearguard.'

'The Pillars Of The Earth' by Ken Follett

Whatever you're up to, enjoy the rest of the weekend. Today, voting takes place for who is going to run each town. Over the last few weeks, my town has been a hive of activity, with cars blaring out each party's campaign announcements and the local theatre sporadically being taken over, to hold political meetings.Today will show the fruits of their labour and a new mayor will be announced later on this evening.

After much thought, I have decided not to vote in the elections this time. As this is the first time that I have been aware of elections since living here, I feel that I don't have enough knowledge of the political system here to make an informed decision. In general, I find the subject of Politics confusing and, through past experiences with the political system in the U.K, my views on the whole thing are cynical. So I'll leave it until next time. All I can hope for, is that the candidate chosen for the mayor is a good one.

Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. This book is a fairly fun read, but it does take awhile to get through it :) Wish I had the time - I will in a couple of months when I go to Spain. And good for you - don't vote unless you know the candidates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is definitely going to take me quite a while to finish, but I think it will be worth it.

    As for the political thing, it looks like we have a new mayor running the town. I'll be interested to see how they get on.

    ReplyDelete