Friday, May 20, 2011

When I grow up....

As well as new posts, I'm also going to post a few things which have appeared in my now, defunct blog 'Life As A So Called Adult'. Apologises to those who have already read this:


When I was a lot younger, adults would ask me 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' to which I would answer, that I wanted to be either a singer, dancer or a vet.

Looking back, all of these choices were totally ludicrous. I'm a terrible singer, I only inflict my toneless voice on people at karaoke when I've had far too much to drink. I cry at any programme with an injured animal in it and as for dancing, I have two left feet and the grace of a baby elephant!

However since I could remember, I've always loved to make up stories. At first, it was only for fun. Due to the fact I have a disability, I wasn't really able to run around and play with other children much. So creating characters and story plots was my form of entertainment. I'm not telling you this for any sympathy, that was just the way it was and I loved being able to use my imagination. I actually feel sorry for those people who say that they don't have an imagination, life must be so boring for them!

Anyway as I have matured, I have dabbled with a few ideas for a career. For instance for a while, I worked at home as a nail technician. However, this didn't feel very 'me'. The idea of becoming a writer, niggled at the back of my mind and I had quite a battle with myself, as to whether I should follow my heart and admit that I was a writer, or find a 'proper' job.

Since turning thirty though, I've realised that life is too short to not do the things that I really want to do. I have the fear that none of the words that I write will ever be published (that's partly why I love blogging, because I know there is a good chance that someone out will read the words I type), but writing is something that I am passionate about. So I'm going to cease the opportunity to do what I want now, rather than regretting having not tried in the future.

I'm still in the process of completing the first draft of a novel and at times, I find the whole process frustrating and terribly slow. However, getting words down on the computer or paper feels brilliant. I may not have released a hit single or joined the Russian Ballet but being a writer, is so much better.

What about you? When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you follow those dreams in later life, or did you end up doing something completely different?

2 comments:

  1. I always wanted to write and draw and that is what I have continued to do, one way or another, throughout my life, working it into whatever job I was doing at the time. As for being published - that is neither here nor there as long as somebody somewhere shares my words and pictures in some way; it is the expression element that counts, just as one can sing or damnce whether or not they are being watched or heard.

    A message from Pagan Sphinx who would like to comment on your page, but cannot because of the 'embedded format' of your comment page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for passing on the message Aguja. Pagan Sphinx seems to be the only person who can't comment on my blog but I'm not sure why!

    As for publication, I don't write to solely achieve this, but it would definitely be a bonus. It wouldn't stop me writing either way.

    ReplyDelete