Tuesday, June 7, 2011

'Case Histories' TV Adaptation Part 2- Review

Last night was the second episode, of a two part adaptation of Kate Atkinson's novel 'Case Histories'.

In my opinion, this second episode was a lot better than the first. The story felt less choppy than the previous episode and we had more of a chance to get to know the characters, particularly Brodie. The episode was very touching at times and there was more humour than the first episode.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, the actors in this series are well cast and believeable. Even though the setting of this series has been changed from Cambridge (in the original books) to Edinburgh (click here to read the reasons why the author Kate Atkinson approved this change), I felt that this didn't matter as much as I thought it might, because the backdrop to this series is beautiful and fitted the drama of the story.

As I said before, a television version of the 'Jackson Brodie' novels are never going to be quite as good as the books, but I'm hoping that after the next two episodes, an adaptation of another of Kate Atkinson's 'Jackson Brodie' novels called 'One Good Turn', this will mean that more of Atkinson's novels will be adapted in future. I'll post a review of third episode of this series, on Monday.

What are your thoughts on this series? Did you feel that it is were faithful to the novels? Did the change of location bother you? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't mind the shift in location, and I can see why they made that choice; basing all of the stories in Edinburgh lends more consistency to the series as a whole. Plus jumping around in location might have compounded that choppy feel you mentioned. The casting's good too; Julia and her sisters were particularly well cast. I wasn't sure about Jason Isaacs as Jackson before I saw the first two episodes, but he did a creditable job capturing that mixture of dourness, gruffness and lurking sentimentality that personifies Jackson.

    Great posts – looking forward to forthcoming ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick you're comments are quite right. Using Edinburgh as the location will give continuity (sp!)to the series and it's also beautiful and dramatic too.

    I would have been more annoyed, in fact furious, if the producers had got the wrong casting. I'm happy to say that so far, the casting is perfect.

    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete