Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Snippet -Kate Atkinson Special

I hate insomnia. It's so frustrating laying in bed, willing myself to go to sleep because I feel so tired and ......nothing. I mostly blame the heat that we have been having lately. This is all brilliant during the day, but at night, I would prefer not to sleep in a sauna-like room.


I also blame the fact that last night, whilst I was at the town food/show, I decided to devour this mountain of candy floss (or cotton candy), causing a sugar rush and so, not helping the sleeping situation.

Nevertheless, I'm taking my dad out for lunch this afternoon as part of his Father's Day gift, I'll crash out later no doubt. Anyway, enough of my sleeping habits and more about this week's snippet.

Tonight (BBC 9pm), sees the fifth of six programmes in the 'Case Histories' series. This time, it's the first part of an adaptation of Kate Atkinson's novel 'When Will There Be Good News?' which sees Private Investigator Jackson Brodie, involved in a terrible train crash. As usual, the story involves several strands of story, weaved together and I'll be interested to see if this fifth programme, will be as good as the previous ones.

I had planned to choose a 'snippet' from this book. Unfortunately 'When Will There Be Good News?' is one of the books that has been left on my book shelves, in our own flat (we're still renting....long story!). I also can't seem to find any 'Read Inside' for this novel on Amazon, so I can take a quote from there.

So as a change from the usual, I thought that I would talk more about the book I'm reading, 'The Pillars Of The Earth' by Ken Follett. As you can see, by the 'Reading Progress' counter that I have recently installed on the blog, I'm about half (or a bit more)of the way through this novel and I'm really enjoying it. I had slight reservations as to whether or not I would be able to stick with this novel, but I have found that the more I read of this novel, the more that I am enjoying it. I don't know how long it will be before I finish this novel, but I will try and post a review of this as soon as I can get through the pages! I will post my thoughts on 'When Will There Be Good News?' in the next few days. Here's the 'snippet':

Page 576- 'He had worshipped her from a distance for years. His abiding picture of her was from the first time he had seen her, as she came down the stairs to the hall at Earlscastle, and he had thought she must be a princess in a story.'

'The Pillars Of The Earth' by Ken Follett

Whatever you're doing this 'Father's Day' or Sunday, if you're not celebrating this today have a great time.

Happy Sunday!

5 comments:

  1. That candy floss looks MASSIVE. Did make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the pink on the candy floss photo! Hope you have come down fronm the sugar high! Kevin-Alejandro saw it but we recognised the potential danger! The fair was great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you spent a wonderful day with your dad. I also hate insomnia. I think it's usually caused by stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That candy floss looks awesome! I want some. Good luck with your insomnia. Hope the heat let's up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cotton candy brings back fond, gooey childhood memories...LOL

    ReplyDelete