Sunday, July 3, 2011

'Sunday Snippet'

After two months, I've finally read all 1076 pages of 'The Pillars Of The Earth' by Ken Follett! This may have been a mammoth task to undertake, but I think that reading this novel has been a fulfilling and enjoyable experience. I will post my thoughts on this novel sometime next week but for now, I want to talk about my latest read.

Since 'The Pillars Of The Earth' was such a heavy going book, I thought that I would read something fun and easy. The other day, I was discussing books with a friend and she mentioned that she had read 'The Chalet School' series of children's books by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer. Being adverse to anything resembling the twee style of Enid Blyton (yes I know, I'm probably the only person to dislike Enid Blyton with a passion!), I wasn't sure that I would enjoy this. My friend assured me however, that 'School Stories' was worth a try. So far, I'm finding it interesting and amusing, because the language is so old fashioned, but this book is strangely mature for a children's book. I think that I am going to enjoy this.

Here's a snippet:

Page 8 - " Rather! Topping little place, right up in the mountains, 'bout an hour's train run from Innsbruck, wasn't it? You went up in a mountain railway from some rummy little town or other- I forgot its name!"

'School Stories' by Elinor M.Brent-Dyer.

Whatever you're doing, enjoy the rest of the weekend. I'm off out for lunch again this afternoon and the sky is looking rather cloudy. I'm hoping that we don't get caught out in a summer thunderstorm....

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. congrats on finishing Pillars - I read it too and liked it. It's quite a feat to read such a book. There is a sequel you know - another 1,000 plus pages, but I've been afraid to tackle that one.

    ReplyDelete