Wednesday, September 7, 2011

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday



My mum is notoriously bad at keeping any kind of plant alive. It has become so bad, that the only form or foliage she is able to keep is a 'Magic Tree' and that could hardly be counted as a plant.

Things changed however, when I bought my mum a Poinsetia plant. For those who don't know what they are, Poinsetia plants have red leaves and generally associated with Christmas. When I bought the plant for mum, I thought we'd be lucky to have it in the house for a week but, by some miracle, it has lasted a whole 9 months so far!

Recently though, we have been on tenterhooks over the health of the Poinsetia plant. It's still growing nicely, but over the last week it has developed some strange mottling on the leaves. Like this:



Whilst I think that this patterning on the leaves is normal (but then I know very little about gardening and plants), we all would like the Poinsetia to stay alive long enough, to see next Christmas. So, for those who have some knowledge in plants, will this plant fine? If not, s there anything we can do to save the plant? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I wish I could help you, Oliva, but I have no idea on those things. I would be grateful it lasted for so long - maybe some showers from all directions-.. oh but Please do not follow my advice in case I am wrong :-/
    I see it beautiful
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am terrible terrible terrible at keeping plants alive BUT I had a Poinsetia that lasted all the way to its second Christmas! I think it managed because it doesn't need too much fuss and it was nicely light and not too warm in our flat at the time. :-) I also recommend basil plants from Sainsburys, they can handle all kinds of neglect. :-D!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, My mum cut a lot of the leaves off and it seems to be okay. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete