Saturday, October 8, 2011

Chapters In My Life -Week 2

This week on 'Chapters In My Life', Jen from 'Unedited' (http://jennifer-daiker.blogspot.com/) is going to tell us about her list of 5 books which have influenced her life:

Thanks for having me Spangle!

I’m Jen, I is a girl, I’m twenty-five, I’m married, and have two kitties (who are great listeners). I’m a data ninja by day and a writer by night. I is a lover of chick lit, cupcakes and cocktail. I don’t read books, I devour them.
Here are the five books that influenced who I am today.

The Red Heels by Robert D. San Souci – I was eleven, it was then I should have known I’d be a writer, but it took me thirteen years later! I saw this book at the scholastic book fair at my school in Iowa. Next to it they mentioned the author and illustrator would be available to sign it. I knew I had to have that book. My sisters (nine and ten at the time), helped raise money for me to buy it. The best sixteen dollars I’ve ever spent. I read it every year; it’s about a shoemaker who visits houses to make shoes and falls in love with a witch who wears her red heeled shoes to fly each night.

Roald Dahl (Yes, I’m cheating) – From Matilda, The BFG, to The Twits, Roald Dahl shapes young minds from the beginning. I’ve read many of his books and each one I loved for the lessons you learn. For Matilda it’s about being independent, but also allowing someone to love you, as you want to be loved. I learned so many wonderful things from Mr. Dahl; I couldn’t imagine a day without him. My children will read these books, and I hope my children’s children will.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips (The Chicago Series – This Heart of Mine) – This one I’ll unfortunately be cheating on as well. SEP taught me to LOVE romance. She is the one who brought me back to life and showed me I could be anything I wanted to be. She taught me, I wanted to write for a living. I wanted to sweep people up in books and let them laugh, cry, and eat a carton of ice cream and not feel bad about it. If you want a great romance that melts your heart, you’ll want to pick up her novels, they’re addicting.

On Writing by Stephen King – This man is badass! Everyone has that one writing book they tell people about… this one, is mine. He doesn’t teach you how to set up your plot, write your characters, even finish a novel, he just shares his story. The depths of emotions he went through. The trials he endured to write a novel. The amount of times he gave up, and when he decided to call himself a writer. He allows you to think for yourself all while sharing his story. This really shed light on writing, and the chaos and insanity that ensues.

See Jane Write: A Girl’s Guide to Writing Chick Lit by Sarah Mlynowski & Farrin Jacobs – These girls melt my heart. The geniuses they are putting together an amazing How-to book. If you’re looking for the depths of chick lit, from the plots, to the characters, these writers will change your life.

Those are the five books (I realize I cheated) I heart. I could name many more, from Harry Potter to several other YA novels that changed my life, but these, these will stay in my heart and on the shelves for years to come. For a rainy day when the writings tough, or when my confidence is down, these books were made for me.

Thanks Jen, you have made some great choices!

Come back next Saturday for another 'Chapters In My Life'.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for having me. Reading this reminds me that I was spot on when deciding what five I'd get to choose!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete