Saturday, November 19, 2011

Chapters In My Life -Week 8

It's week 8 of 'Chapters In My Life' and this week, Carol from 'Dizzy C's Little Book Blog' is sharing the books that have influenced her life:

I don’t have early memories of reading with my mum but know that books were important in our house. We had two bookcases on the upstairs landing full of books. Each night I would choose books to take to bed.
Some of these would be comic style annuals like The Beano, Cor, Whizzer and Chips.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C S Lewis

A magical story that still delights children today. I remember a teacher reading this to us at school and then re-reading it at home.

I do feel a little sad that these days some of our literature is turned into Hollywood blockbuster films and that many children go straight to watching the film.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl.

Every child should read at least one R Dahl novel. This was my favourite and for me the most exciting. How I longed to visit the Chocolate factory. I visited Cadbury World in Birmingham, UK with my own children a while ago. I believe the Cadbury factory was the inspiration for this book.

As a mum with 3 children of my own I have found many more exciting children’s books, including

Green Eggs and Ham – Dr Seuss

How did I miss these as a child? Great fun rhyming books. Green Eggs is my favourite as I used to read this to the class (as a teaching assistant) and they would challenge me to see how fast I could read it. We had fun with this one.


Digital Fortress – Dan Brown

I was bedridden for a couple of weeks after an accident with my back. A friend I worked with at school dropped off some books. Dan Brown? Not my type of book, but I read it and loved it..I went on to read Angels and Demons. I still have The Lost Symbol on my TBR shelves.

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox – Maggie O’Farrell.

A novel about a young woman spending most of her adult life in an institution until the home closed down and her great niece is asked to collect her. Her story unfolds in this wonderful novel by one of my favourite authors.

Saving Cee-Cee Honeycutt – Beth Hoffman

This is where my reading changed dramatically. It was a recommendation I found on a book blog. I had no idea what a blog was until I happened upon one. I managed to get a hardback version of this book from overseas and loved it.
I realised there were many more resources and books out there I could get hold of.
I am so pleased for Beth Hoffman that the UK will finally get this novel in Jan 2012.

Star Gazing – Linda Gillard

A beautifully written novel. I would not have found this novel if it had not been for the author contacting me. Until then, I had only looked at books in the top 20 charts from a few sites. It just shows the power of book forums and book blogging. Fairly unknown, but amazing novels can be reached by a wider audience.

3 comments:

  1. I have discovered a lot of good books via bloggers too. I love Roald Dahl, and chocolate too of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great wee interview, I haven't read many Roald Dahl but I love the BFG and George's Marvelous Medicine.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always inspire me to read better and appreciate the words in front of me. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete