Saturday, December 10, 2011

Chapters In My Life -Week 11

We have reached week 11 of 'Chapters In My Life' and this time it's the turn of Melissa from 'So about what I said....' to choose 5 books which have had an influence on her lfie:

Books are an amazing thing, aren't they? They have the power to at once teach us about ourselves and transport us to a different world, as if we're living the story right along with the characters we're reading about. If you think about it, books make the perfect best friend. They never judge. They're always there when you need them. And they always make you laugh and provide hours of entertainment.

But maybe I'm a bit biased. My parents raised me on books. From the early days of our afternoons spent marveling at the colorful illustrations in my favorite children's books to reading what would become my favorite books in high school, books have always held a special place in the metaphorical bookshelf of my heart (cheesy, I know, but true!).

So when Spangle asked me to write about 5 books that had a lasting impact on my life, it wasn't hard to come up with my top 5:

Hamlet: High school seems to be prime Shakespeare-reading time. I read Romeo & Juliet, MacBeath and Hamlet, but my favorite to this day continues to be Hamlet. It's an action-packed play and I love all the metaphors and symbolism.

The Catcher in the Rye: Ahhh, Holden Caulfield. What teenage girl read this book and didn't fall in love with him? He's got that James Dean rebelness to him and is just so relateable, even for young people today.

Guilty pleasure reads: I've always been a fan of guilty pleasure reads. My mom says I should be ashamed of that. I'm not. At all. I love everything from Nicholas Sparks (A Walk To Remember is my favorite ) to Simon Cowell's book (yes, I did read it...). There's just something incredibly relaxing about getting lost in those characters and their thoughts.

The Glass Menagerie: This Tennessee Williams classic about the relationship between a mother and her two children hit so close to home when I first read it in college. My mom was the mom. My sister was Tom. And I was Laura.

The Diary of a Young Girl: I've read it twice, and it's probably the book I can identify with the most. Here was this incredibly courageous young woman keeping a diary during the scariest time in her life, and yet, she chronicled everything so honestly. Her fears. Her first love. Her dreams. It makes me wonder if Anne would have been a blogger if she lived today...

4 comments:

  1. What a great selection of reads, Melissa. Catcher in Rye is such an unforgettable book, and those Guilty Pleasures - anything by Nicholas Sparks is so wrong, but so delicious to read:)

    I need to add The Glass Menagerie to my wishlist - sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea. Melissa, these are some excellent choices. Your bookblogs.ning friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your words here and your choices. I empathised with the 'growing up with books'. Television was not around for me, so books were the magical road to imagination and fantasy.

    I had forgotten that I have read 'The Glass Menagerie' ... must return to it.

    Excellent choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really interesting to read about Melissa's choice of books. It was a very good idea. Certain books are just timeless.

    ReplyDelete