Friday, December 16, 2011

Chapters In My Life -Week 12

It's the penultimate week of 'Chapters In My Life'. I don't know about you, but I have really enjoyed reading the varied choices of books my guest posters have made and I'm planning to do another series in the future.

This week, Tiffany from 'Dancing Branflakes' is going to share with us the five books that have a significance in her life:


'The five books that have influenced my life:

Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

Before then my desire to read was almost non-existent. But once I picked up that book my love to read took off and I read almost everything in sight. I discovered it at an age when I was trying to find my own voice and for some reason felt that he expressed my own thoughts in a shockingly accurate way.


Jane Eyre

Growing up I always loved dark men with hidden secrets, which is ironic because the man I love is the total opposite. But back then I wanted to be Jane. I related a lot to her because she was plain like me and I liked that she got the man in the end. I think I figured that someone tormented by his past would be more apt to overlook physical flaws so Mr. Rochester really appealed to me.


The Zahir

It's the best love story in that it isn't a love story but a collection of random thoughts from a man about his wife. It's a fascinating read that sheds an interesting light on how men view their wives and marriage in general.

Le Petit Prince

I don't think any child or adult should live their life without reading this book. I picked up a used copy for a boy I was dating and when I gave it to him I realized, "there is only one reason I am giving this to him and it's because I love him." We married a year later.

Betty Crocker Cook Book

Okay, I know this sounds weird but that big red cook book was my first foray into becoming obsessed with food. Even though I don't use the recipes anymore I have to give credit to where credit is due because without it I would not have even tackled homemade spaghetti sauce or cinnamon rolls. She's old school but she laid a good foundation.

3 comments:

  1. I unfortunately have never read any of these, although I've always wanted to read Slaughterhouse Five.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'The Zahir' sounds extremely interesting. I have not read it. I enjoyed reading your choice of books. It amazes me how books bind a part of each one of us and act as markers of times past.

    ReplyDelete