Saturday, December 31, 2011

Top Reads of 2011

Like a lot of book bloggers, I have been looking back on the books I have read in 2011. In total, I managed to read 17 books, more than I had anticipated due to the fact that I'm such a slow reader. Here's a list of my completed books (click on the links to read their reviews):

'Songs Of Blue and Gold' - Deborah Lawrenson
'One Day'- David Nicholls
'The Lantern'- Deborah Lawrenson
'Slipstream'- Elizabeth Jane Howard
'The Book of Ebenezer Le Page'- G.B Edwards
'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'- J.K Rowling
'School Stories'- Elinor.M.Brent-Dyer
'Pillars of the Earth'- Ken Follett
'Tin Toys'- Ursula Holden
'Room'- Emma Donoghue
'The Prestige'- Christopher Priest
'The Maltese Falcon'- Dashiell Hammett
'Short Stories'- Edith Wharton
'Of Mice and Men'- John Steinbeck
'Falling'- Elizabeth Jane Howard
'Our Spoons Came from Woolworths'- Barbara Comyns
'The Bones of Avalon'- Phil Rickman

My book count would have been 18. Unfortunately I haven't quite finished Andrea Levy's novel 'The Long Song', so it will qualify as a 2012 read. Out of the list, there have been some great (and not so great) books. My top 6 books of 2011 (I couldn't help but sneak an extra book in)are:

'The Lantern'- Deborah Lawrenson
'The Pillars of the Earth'- Ken Follett
'One Day'- David Nicholls
'Of Mice and Men'- John Steinbeck
'Room'-Emma Donoghue
'Our Spoons Came From Woolworths'- Barbara Comyns

What all of these novels have in my opinion were fantastic storytelling, great characters and vivid description. What were your favourite reads of 2012? What books are looking forward to reading in the new year?

Now that I have looked back on my reads of 2011, I can look forward to the books to come in 2012. All that is left for me to say is thank you for visiting my blog throughout the last year and whatever you are doing to welcome in 2012, have a happy and healthy new year.

Happy New Year!

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed SHATTER ME, HE LOVE ME HE LOVES YOU NOT, HEX HALL, and CHASING VERMEER. Those were my favorites. I'm not sure how many books I've read this year. I read over 20 on my Kindle but I read more in print. I should really start keeping track.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list!

    Wishing you a Happy 2012, dear blog friend!

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read 78 books this year, and it somehow seems too little... Out of those, I mostly enjoyed LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, ZOO CITY, THE WOMAN IN THE DUNES, DREAMSONGS: A RETROSPECTIVE, MASTER OF THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT, DYING INSIDE and OLD MASTERS.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Spangle! Great list. I adore Deborah Lawrenson and her books and loved The Lantern.

    Some favourites for me this year would have to be The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber, Kafka on the Shore by Murakami and A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh.

    Happy reading for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! Best wishes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great reading year, Spangle. I've enjoyed your posts this year and look forward to more. Happy new year, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all of you for the comments! I hope you all have a great 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Lantern is one of those books that I have been meaning to read. Glad it made your tops list.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete