Friday, March 23, 2012

'The Lake of Dreams' by Kim Edwards



Publisher: Penguin

ISBN: 978-0-14-312036-0

Length: 377 Pages

Opening Line: 'Although it is nearly midnight, an unusual light slips through a crack in the wool, brushing her arm like the feathers of a wing.'

What's good about this novel?

The descriptions within this novel, are beautiful. Edwards' way of writing, helped me to immerse myself into the story's setting. I could see the locations in the story clearly in my mind whilst reading this.I could actually see this novel, being turned into a film, due to the vivid descriptions and backdrop.

I found the characters to be believeable and well formed, the thread of story involving the central character's ancestors, to be very interesting and it echoes my family's attempt to trace our family tree, at the moment.

What's wrong with this novel?

There are a couple of things wrong with this novel in my opinion. I found the pace of this novel to be a little slow, particularly at the beginning. In fact it was so slow, that at times I found my concentration wandering. I also found the book to be a bit predictable and the ending to be a bit rushed and convenient.

Is this worth a read?

I think so yes. 'The Lake of Dreams' isn't a book that I would read more than once, but I still enjoyed it.

4 comments:

  1. The cover is very appealing, and I like to ‘see’ the settings, so I may well be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a book of this writer in my collection, but I have too less time and too much books :p Describtions in a book are nice, but slow writing can become annoying.. I think I'm going to shove my book a little lower on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OLD FOLLOWER.

    Stopping by from Book Blogs.

    Stop by my blog if you like for an e-book giveaway of THE DEMOCRAT or let anyone you think might like it know about the giveaway.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/03/e-book-giveaway.html

    Elizabeth

    Silver's Reviews

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. RIGHT!Good book always worth to read.

    document

    ReplyDelete