Wednesday, April 18, 2012

'The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson (E-Book)



This novel is read as part of 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' book challenge


Publisher: Feedbooks

Length: 80 Pages

Opening Line: 'Mr Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never liughted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable.'

What's good about this novel?

I like the idea of this novel. The fact that this novel is examining the multifaceted nature of human beings is interesting. Everyone has two sides to them, the good and evil and it's up to the individual to choose whether to repress or embrace the darker elements of their nature.

What's wrong about this novel?

I think that the promising idea of the story is delivered in a dull way. From the beginning, I didn't feel inspired to continued reading this story. However I was determined to persist with this novel, thinking that it would improve. For me, it didn't. The writing often waffled and I felt my interest wane throughout. Even though this novel is a mere 80 pages this novel dragged, I couldn't wait until I had reached the end.

Is this worth a read?

I don't think this was particularly worth a read. Maybe science fiction isn't my thing, but this and 'The War of the Worlds' was unable to capture my imagination. This is possibly worth a read however, to make your own mind up about it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Olivia, I love that book. Especially Mr. Utterson. I like how he tries to stay out of trouble, but tries to be around people in trouble, so he can at least hear about sin since he can't participate. Realistically, I know we can't all like the same things. I can say I really enjoy your reviews and look forward to reading them.

    Judaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comment Judaye. What I like about the blogosphere, is that not everyone will have the same opinions on books etc. This then leads to a lot of discussion.

    This novel really wasn't for me, but I find your theory on Mr Utterson really interesting. I suppose you're right, he does seem to get into the path of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I shall have to read this ... and then comment!

    ReplyDelete