Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sunday Snippet

I'm a little disappointed by 'The War of the Worlds' by H.G Wells. At the beginning, I thought that the one person narrative in the book was a great way to draw me into the story. Ninety pages in however, I'm finding this style of writing, flat and at times, rather boring. Considering this book is about alien invasion I hadn't anticipated feeling bored whilst reading this!

It is a contrast with the last book I read 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. In my opinion, this book successfully uses mostly one person narrative, to create a very interesting book. So it's a shame that 'The War of the Worlds' is not as effective. Here's a 'snippet':

Page 90: 'One may picture the orderly expectation, the officers alert and watchful, the gunners ready, the ammunition piled to hand, the limber gunners with their horses and waggons, the groups of civilian spectators standing as near as they were permitted, the evening stillness, the ambulances and hospital tents with the burned and wounded from Weybridge; then the dull resonance of the shots the Martians fired, and the clumsy projectile whirling amid the neighbouring fields.'

'The War of the Worlds' by H.G Wells

Whatever you're up to have a great Easter break.

Happy Easter!

3 comments:

  1. Boo to boring. I like the excerpt but I can see it might be a little run-on! Happy Easter Spangle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have just finished reading 'The Big Tent Wedding' which would be an antidote to 'War of the Worlds' which I know would bnot be one I would enjoy reading.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, I found the writing in War of the Worlds a little flat. I think the problem is that even though the subject matter is quite interesting, Wells created such a boring character to tell the story. The main character (whose name has escaped me) didn't have any interesting quirks - he just seemed to be a reporter, telling the facts.

    Glad you enjoyed Wuthering Heights though.

    ReplyDelete