Saturday, April 14, 2012

'The War of the Worlds' by H.G Wells




Publisher: Feedbooks

Length: 182 Pages

Opening Line: 'No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.'

What's good about this novel?

What I really liked about this novel is the overall message that this novel is trying to convey. This novel is about the power that nature has over mankind and that we as humans, should respect it and not become too consumed by our own importance.

I also liked some of the descriptions of the landscapes the main character travelled through. The desolation and loneliness the character encounters, gave impact to the novel.

What's wrong with this novel?

I think the fundamental problem I had with this novel, was it's placing in time. Due to the fact that the accounts of the alien invasion were told in the past, I felt that this gave distance to the action and discouraged me as a reader from being drawn into the story.

Having listening to the Orson Welles radio adaptation of the novel, I feel that if the story had been presented in the present, this book would have worked a lot better. As it is, the straight commentary of events gave no immediacy or drama to the story.

Is this worth a read?

To be honest, I would recommend listening to the Orson Welles radio adaptation, rather than reading this novel. I feel that 'The War of the Worlds' has too many flaws, for me to enjoy it.

Have you read this novel? What are your thoughts on it?

1 comment:

  1. Really? I first read this novel when I was a teenager and then I read a few years ago again and I've always been struck by his vision -- it terrified me as a child. I'm recommending the novel to my daughter, who is a huge sci-fi fan, for her summer reading so I'm really interested in whta she will think. It's funny since one of the book reviewers I trust the most,Elaine Charles, is actually reviewing 'Worlds" this weekend on her radio show "The Book Reprt." She's extremely well read as well so I'm really interested in how her review compares to this one -- and it's a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon listening to her on AM radio.

    ReplyDelete