Friday, April 6, 2012

'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte (E-Book)




Publisher: FeedBooks

Length: 331 Pages

What's good about this novel?

I began reading this book, with the anticipation that 'Wuthering Heights' was going to be a novel filled with cliched romance. The reality of this novel however, is completely different.

The writing within this novel is extremely good. The way in which the story is told by Mr Lockwood, the prospective tentant of Thrushcross Grange and Mr Lockwood's maid, drew me in. Although I have to admit, it took me a while to get into this novel.

Although on paper the characters within this novel are unpleasant, irrational and in most cases totally unlikeable, I felt drawn to find out what was going to happen to them all.

One element that really stood out for me with 'Wuthering Heights', is the atmosphere of sadness and torment that is created by Emily Bronte. At times it is overwhelming, but I have never read a book that could envoke so much emotion within one novel. I felt as if I was being carried on the wave of torment, along with the characters.

What's wrong with this novel?

The only negative that I can find with this novel, is the ending. The latter part of the novel builds in anticipation for something to happen, only for there to be a slight anticlimax.

Is this worth a read?

Saying that I love this book, considering its content is a rather weird thing to say, but I do love this book. I think that the complexities in emotion and character, make 'Wuthering Heights' one of the most intriguing novels I have read so far.

Have you read this novel? What are your thoughts on this?

2 comments:

  1. It cetrtainly is a classic - and will survive another age, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those books that has made one of the strongest impressions on me.

    ReplyDelete