Thursday, May 10, 2012

'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins



Publisher: Scholastic

Length: 454 Pages

Opening Line: 'When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.'

What's good about this novel?

Being in my 30's I was a bit unsure whether or not I was going to enjoy this novel. However, something intrigued me enough to give this a go.

I thought that this novel is very well written. Suzanne Collins' writing has maturity and is able to convey a lot of information and back story of the characters, without losing the pace of the novel.

The characters in this are very believeable. I also liked the way that the main protagonist of this novel Katniss, is a strong female character, who doesn't pine over boys and is generally silly.

The story itself is rather disturbing at times, there is a lot of violence, but the suspense that's in this novel, meant that I couldn't put this book down. The ending leaves with a cliff hanger, that makes me really want to read the rest of this trilogy.

What's wrong with this novel?

Due to the violent/mature nature of this novel, I'm unsure whether this should be for Young Adults at all. An adult could easily read this novel and still find it uncomfortable reading at times. On the other hand, it's refreshing to see a YA author who doesn't talk down or dumb down their work.

Is this worth a read?

I think that 'The Hunger Games' is worth a read. However if you're easily offended/disturbed, you maybe want to avoid this novel.

Have you read this novel? Do you think this is too mature in content to be considered a 'Young Adult' novel?

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I read the trilogy too, and I did find it shocking most of the times! It could potentially be harmful to children who might think that the survival element is the strongest and don't sit back and wonder "what if they decide to actually not kill each other!"
    It is also a story "against the authorities", so you never know what that could instil in a young's mind! I don't know which age category you are referring to when you say Young adults but for me it's defo a >20 years old book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Interesante! I look forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on the disturbing aspect, but overall it was good.

    Stopping by for a look around.

    OLD FOLLOWER.

    Elizabeth

    Silver's Reviews

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I loved the book and I loved the movie! I rarely go to the movies just because I figure I can swap for it on dvd or buy it when it comes out on Amazon for the price of a movie ticket but this movie I would pay to see AGAIN! I know it's nothing like Twilight but I feel like they did such a better job all around with this one. The actors, the storyline, the visuals, it was all very nicely done.

    regards,
    grace of Cowboy boots for men

    ReplyDelete