Sunday, May 27, 2012

'Sunday Snippet'

Apologises for not having done a 'Sunday Snippet' for a while. We have had visitors for the last month and so I have been very busy. I have had enough time to make progress with 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin and I'm glad that I have persisted with it.

I can't say that it is the best book that I have read. I find that it has peaks and troughs when it come to exciting storyline and dialogue, but it's turning out to be more interesting than I had anticipated. Whilst reading this novel, I have found myself wondering whether or not this book would translate better on screen rather on the page.

I don't do this with a lot of novels, in fact 99% of the time I think that film adaptations to books are never as good as it's original text. However with 'The Passage' I think the story/action would be better shown rather than told. What do you think? Have you ever seen a film adaptation of a novel, which was better than the original text?

Here's a 'snippet':

Page 497: 'The approached the station from the rear. Inside its fenced compund they detected no sign of movement. "You hear that?" Alicia said. Peter stopped to listen. "I don't hear anything." "That's because the fence if off."

'The Passage' by Justin Cronin

Whatever you're up to, enjoy the rest of the weekend. I'm disappointed that the U.K Eurovision entry came a measly second to last last night. Even though they are Irish, maybe the U.K should have this as their entry. It is from a programme called 'Father Ted', in which this episode featured a song contest like Eurovision (hence the link) . This series is no longer running, but I still love it:




Happy Sunday!


3 comments:

  1. I really loved Anthony Minghella's film version of The English Patient - it was so beautifully and inventively visual (if that doesn't sound ridiculous!) and restructured the novel in a way that I think worked better. The book is lovely too, but its themes of borders and nationalities came to life in subtle ways beneath the striking pictures of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So stylish! follow each other sweetie?:X

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found you through book blogs, and I'm now following! I'd love to have you follow me back!

    http://flyingonsilverwings.blogspot.com/

    I listened to the audiobook of The Passage, and I'm glad I did. I don't think I would have gotten through it if I'd had to read it. I totally agree with you, the story goes up and down. I did enjoy it though, and I'm looking forward to book 2.

    ReplyDelete