Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Social Addiction

I love the internet. I don't know what I would do if I weren't able to check my email and I love looking at blog posts and write them (although grantly, they are far and few between at the moment). Recently, I read a blog post on 'This too....' about social networking sites like Facebook, which I can totally relate to.

Don't get me wrong, I have found social networking sites like Facebook, to be a brilliant way in which to keep in contact with my friends and family, here and in other countries. However, I do also think that Facebook can become an addiction, something that is instilled into one's lifestyle, whether they are for useful purposes or not!

The other day I got out of bed and, before I had even had breakfast, found myself gravitating towards Facebook, to check what had been going on in the 10 or hours or so, since I last checked it. It was then that I realised, that whether I wanted it to or not, Facebook was taking over my life.

Ok, there are worse things that I could be doing, but it feels ridiculous that something such as a website could be controlling my day to day activities. It was even worse when I took part in all of the games that Facebook has, such as Farmville etc. At one point, these applications took over my life so much, that I had instruct a family member to go on Facebook at a certain time whilst I was out, in order to harvest digital vegetables! It was when I was planning my daily tasks around these games, that I knew it had to stop. I deleted them all and my life got back to normal. Yet Facebook is still a part of my life.

However, I have decided to do an experiment. Next week, starting from Monday (9th July), I am going cold turkey and abandoning Facebook, to see if I can live without it. I will still blog (I may even keep a day to day record of how I get on) and e-mail but Facebook, is off limits. Some people that I have spoken to about this (ironically on Facebook), say that if I enjoy logging on to check my updates and it isn't hurting anyone, then keep doing it. As a person who likes to be in control of their life however, I don't like the idea that something or someone, could dictate my life as much as Facebook has been doing.

So for those seven days, I won't be available to PM, Tag, or look at your funny quotes. Hopefully, I will be doing something more constructive.

5 comments:

  1. Spangle, I hear you and support you! I stopped using Facebook (cold turkey) for one week and found that I was much more productive with my writing and reading. I went back on a few times after the week was up and found it a lot less satisfying to scroll through. Still trying to find a balance between total addiction and being able to check it casually. I'm trying a new strategy. Checking on Saturday mornings only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa! I won't find this next week easy, but I'm determined to see it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! You've got more willpower than I do! Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melissa, my willpower isn't so great at times, but I hope to see this week through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear how you found the experiment! I have (apart from for blogging purposes) now abandoned Facebook entirely - helped along by how sick I get of hearing people at work talking about each others' 'comments' 'likes' etc, even though they spend all day talking to each other in person! Agh!

    An admirable challenge :)

    ReplyDelete