Saturday, July 28, 2012

'The Art of Racing In The Rain' by Garth Stein- Review



Publisher: Harper Collins

ISBN: 978-0-00-728119-0

Length: 321 Pages

Opening Line: 'Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature.'

The 'blurb':

'The captivating and moving story of an extraordinary family, how they almost fell apart and how they were brought back together by the wisest and most loyal member- Enzo the dog.'

Review:

Having read many positive reviews of this novel, I was worried that when I read 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' for myself, it wouldn't live up to my expectations.

I must admit that the 'voice' of Enzo didn't quite feel real to me at the beginning of the novel, after all it's not often that you get a dog who loves Formula 1 racing, but very quickly, I believed in Enzo and his story.

This novel is written with wit, intelligence and even though I'm not a fan of Formula 1, I thought that the inclusion of the psychology behind the sport, fitted perfectly into context of what was going on in the main body of the story. Even though this did have some sad elements to the story, this novel had an upbeat and positive message.

Is this worth a read?

This is a must read for anyone who loves animals or enjoys motor racing. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment