Sunday, August 5, 2012

'May I Have Your Attention Please?' by James Corden



Publisher: Arrow Books

ISBN: 978-0-099-56023-4

Length: 341 Pages

Opening Line: 'I've always thought that the first few lines of any book would be the hardest to write.'

The 'Blurb': 'So... the story of my life. I've often thought about this moment, about what it would be like to write my memoirs. I always thought it would make me feel important. It doesn't. If anything it makes me feels a little strange.

The truth is, I should never have been this famous guy. I wasn't the cool, clever, good-looking boy at school. But I always dreamt of it, hoped for it, longed for it: throughout school when I was disruptive, in my teens when I tried to form my own boy band, and through hundreds of auditions for parts which were met with constant rejection.

Until finally I co-wrote 'Gavin and Stacey'. And my whole life changed. This is that story. The story of how I found myself here, talking to you.'

Review:

Being a fan of the British comedy 'Gavin and Stacey' and the actor James Corden, I thought that this book would be interesting to read. Corden's chatty, easy style of writing is engaging and easy to identify with. There are many times throughout this book in which I laughed out loud. Also as a wannabe writer, I was interested to read about the process that took place when James Corden and Ruth Jones set about writing 'Gavin and Stacey'. The book has loads of photographs of James growing up and also some of the benchmarks (like his character 'Smithy') which have marked his career.

One criticism I would have, would be that on occasion, Corden gushes so much about some of the directors/ actors he has worked with, that to me, he almost sounds insincere.

Is this worth a read?

If you like James Corden or 'Gavin and Stacey', then yes, this is worth a read. This is an easy going, funny book that I enjoyed.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the layout of your review! It's original :) Found you from BookBlogs and i've followed and everything :P

    Would appreciate a follow back
    http://theteenagebookworms.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for your comment and following. I like the look of your blog.

    ReplyDelete