Tuesday, March 19, 2013

First Chapter Tuesday



This week's 'First Chapter, First Paragraph' as hosted by 'Bibliophile by The Sea', is taken from my latest read 'The Green Mile' by Stephen King:

'This happened in 1932, when the state penitentiary was still at Cold Mountain. And the electric chair was there, too, of course.
The inmates made joles about the chair, the way people always make jokes about things that frighten them but can't be gotten away from. The called it Old Sparky, or the Big Juicy. They made cracks about the power bill, and how Warden Moores would cook his Thanksgiving dinner that fall, with his wife, Melinda, too sick to cook.
But for the ones who actually had to sit down in that chair, the humor went out of the situation in a hurry. I presided over seventy-eight executions during my time at Cold Mountain (that's one fifure I've never been confused about; I'll remember it on my deathbed), and I think that, for most of those men, the truth of what was happening to them finally hit all the way home when their ankles were being clamped to the stout oak of "Old Sparky's" legs.'

Would you continue reading this?



3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm Carmen Stefanescu from:
    http://shadowspastmystery.blogspot.ro/

    I signed to follow your blog. I'd be glad if you could honor mine, too.
    I live in Romania, better known as Dracula's country. I am a teacher of English and German in my own town and country. Our languages are related and we live not very far away from each other.

    I have always been a fan of S. King. However the books that impressed me most are:The Shining and It! In my opinion they are his best.

    Best regards!
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Carmen. I will look at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following back and have a nice weekend!

    As you have an Ipod and I imagine you can read ebooks on it, are you interested to give a try to my paranormal(ghosts) light romance(no erotica) light horror Shadows of the Past? It's a PDF form. I have no such modern things like smartphones, tablets, etc so I don't know what can be read on an Ipod or not!
    If interested my eamil is
    carmens007AtyahooDotcom or leave a message on my blog!
    Best,
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete