Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday Film Talk



'Brave'- Disney/Pixar

Even though I'm in my Thirties, I still like to watch the occasional Disney/Pixar film and last weekend, was no exceptional.

'Brave' is set in the Highlands of Scotland and tells the story of Merida, a young girl destined to marry one of the first-born males of three other clans. Merida rebels against her parent's wishes and seeks the help of a witch, to try and change her mother's mind about the arranged marriage, but then disaster strikes and Merida has to try and reverse the spell the witch has cast, to save her family.

Being a bit of a Disney traditionalist, I didn't think this was the best Disney/Pixar film I have seen. I found that instead of being a strong character, Merida was actually quite an annoying brat and possibly not a great role model for young children. Also, although the underlying story running through this film was good, I felt that it was lost with the rather strange story of Merida and her mother.

There are some great actors/comedians cast in this film (Emma Thompson is Queen Elinor,Billy Connolly as King Fergus and Julie Walters is The Witch), but I don't think that they were used to their full advantage.

One good thing about this film, is that the animators have done a great job capturing the beauty of the Scottish landscape.

Overall, 'Brave' doesn't have the charm that a lot of the 'old skool' Disney films have, but if you don't have anything else to watch, then consider watching 'Brave'.

2 comments:

  1. I really had no interest in seeing this one. The previews just didn't make it seem worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. Beyond Merida's hair (which was insanely beautiful) I thought the story was really strange.

    ReplyDelete