Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday

Welcome back to 'First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday' hosted by 'Bibliophile by the Sea'!

I haven't participated in this for a long time, so I thought I would return with the first paragraph of 'The World According to Bertie' by Alexander McCall Smith. This is the fourth installment in the 'Scotland Street' series and although I wasn't too sure about the first novel, I persisted and am glad that I did, because I now LOVE this set of books. Here's the first paragraph:

'Pat saw Bruce at ten o'clock on a Saturday morning, or at least that is when she thought she saw him. An element of doubt there certainly was. This centred not on the time of the sighting, but on the identity of the person sighted; for this was one of those occasions when one wonders whether the eye, or even the memory, has played a trick. And such tricks can be extraordinary, as when one is convinced that one has seen the late General de Gaulle coming out of a cinema, or when, against all reasonable probability, one thinks one has spotted a famous Italian tenor on a train between Glasgow and Paisley; risible events, of course, but ones which underline the proposition that one's eyes are not always to be believed.'

Would you read on?


8 comments:

  1. That is a "very interesting" intro. I definitely makes me want to find out more. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like his writing style, even though I've never actually read one of his books. I do have one of the Ladies' Detective series books around.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd read some more to find out about these two people. I have not read any books in this series though I have finished a few in the African series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved his first series. I have not tried this one yet. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would absolutely continue! I adore this author. And thanks for visiting my blog last week (I'm catching up on comments after being away on vacation).

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/08/first-chapter-first-paragraph-25-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, yes, because I did - and find so much enjoyment in his books ... and humour!

    ReplyDelete