Tuesday, November 12, 2013

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday


I haven't done a 'First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday' for a long time! This is a feature hosted by 'Bibliophile By The Sea' , where bloggers post the first paragraph of a book they are currently reading or want to read in future.

Here is the first paragraph of 'Atonement' by Ian McEwan. Having seen the film with the lovely James McAvoy, I was interested to compare the film with the book:


'The play- for which Briony had designed the posters, programmes and tickets, constructed the sales booth out of a folding screen tipped on its side, and lined the collection box in red crêpe paper- was written by her in a two-day tempest of composition, causing her to miss a breakfast and a lunch. When the preparations were complete, she had nothing to do but contemplate her finished draft and wait for the appearance of her cousins from the distant north.'

Would you read on?



13 comments:

  1. I do remember liking this novel -- as for the intro, it's okay, but I know it gets better. Enjoy and thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Diane. I wasn't particularly taken with the intro either, but will continue reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The intro seems a little rough, but I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't think the intro does justice to the rest of the book, but I hope you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book several years ago and remember enjoying it, although the beginning had me thinking otherwise.

    I noticed that you are also reading an installment in Alexander McCalll Smith's 44 Scotland Street series. Love the characters in those books, especially little Bertie!

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/11/first-chapter-first-paragraph-39.html

    Catherine @ Book Club Librarian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the novel...finally got around to it last year, I think. Thanks for sharing...hope you love it, too.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm, I would like reading just because its Ian Mcewan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not watched the movie. How does it differ from the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure at the moment, as I have not finished the book. However, I will compare the film with the book, once I have read it!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the comments so far. After reading all of your thoughts on this so far, I may give this a go. I will post my thoughts on this book, after I have read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember absolutely loving this book when I read it - so much so, that I still refuse to see the film, as I don't want it to taint my love for this book.

    Ian McEwan is just sensational - although his subject matter can be somewhat disturbing. I read his collection of short stories First Love Last Rites and they left me cold.

    ReplyDelete