Sunday, February 23, 2014

On Chesil Beach'- Ian McEwan


After hearing very positive comments about this book, I had high expectations about it. To be honest, I can't really make my mind up about whether I enjoyed this or not.

The story centres around Edward and Florence, two people who are on their honeymoon. In anticipation for their wedding night, the story focuses on their worries and anticipation for their first sexual encounter. The story also weaves the story of their lives, how they meet and how thy use each other to enter adulthood.

On the one hand, this book is beautifully written. It really focuses on the emotions going through their minds about love and sexuality. However in some ways, the sparseness of the novel left me feeling a little flat.I don't think that this is a novel which is plot driven, I think it's more an examination of the human mind, which is very interesting.

I didn't really like any of the characters and found them quite confusing. I couldn't really pin down exactly who they were and what I should feel about them. You could say then, that was a good thing on the author's part, because the main characters were confused also.

The ending of the story was an anticlimax and at the end of the novel I thought 'Was that it?' I'm glad I read this, because the descriptions and writing in general were brilliant, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. Sorry for the mixed review, but my feelings towards this novel are just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment