Tuesday, March 4, 2014

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday

I can't believe it's Tuesday already! That must mean another 'First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday' hosted by 'Bibliophile by the Sea'.

This week's first paragraph is from 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro. Having never seen the film, I only know very little about the plot of this novel but from what I do know, it sounds very interesting.

 Here is the first paragraph:

England, late 1990's

'My name is Kathy H. I'm thirty-one years old, and I've been a carer now for over eleven years. That sounds long enough, I know, but actually they want me to go on for another eight months, until the end of this year. That'll make it almost exactly twelve years. Now I know my being a carer so long isn't necessarily because they think I'm fantastic at what I do. There are some really good carers who've been told to stop after just two or three years. And I can think of one carer at least who went on for all of fourteen years despite being a complete waste of space. So I'm not trying to boast. But then I do know for a fact they've been pleased with my work, and by and large, I have too. My donors have always tended to do much better than expected. Their recovery times have been impressive, and hardly any of them have been classified as 'agitated', even before fourth donation. Okay, maybe I am boasting now. But it means a lot to me, being able to do my work well, especially that bit about my donors staying 'calm'. I've developed a kind of instinct around donors. I know when to hang around and comfort them, when to leave them to themselves; when to listen to everything they have to say, and when just to shrug and tell them to snap out of it.'

Would you continue reading this?

14 comments:

  1. I tried to read this a couple of times but for some reason I never got into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy this!

      Delete
  2. I Loved, loved, loved this book and the idea behind it. Once I had realised what it is all about it was like 'Oh my gosh!'. And please don't read any spoilers about it - that would be like someone telling you on the movie The Sixth Sense what it is all about at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try and keep away from spoilers as much as I can Peggy! Glad you enjoyed this book.

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by the opening, and will consider adding this to my TBR list. My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-52.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Your First Paragraph Tuesday' looks very good.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea what this story was about, now I wonder if I could continue. I guess in fairness, I would give it til the end of the first chapter. I'm kind of worried though, that it would creep me out. I'll wait to see what your review reveals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I will post a review as soon as I can. With the pile of books I have to read, it might be a while until I review this!

      Delete
  5. I saw the movie and I know the book is good.
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've yet to watch the movie. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to read more because I have no idea what a carer is. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certainly would - and have! The writing is deceptively simple, and so draws you in apparently effortlessly.

    ReplyDelete