Tuesday, June 10, 2014

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday

This week's 'First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday' hosted by 'Bibliophile by the Sea', is from my new favourite writer, David Mitchell:

'Miss Kawasemi?' Orito kneels on a stale and sticky futon. 'Can you hear me?'
In the rice paddy beyond the garden, a cacophony of frogs detonates.
Orito dabs the concubine's sweat-drenched face with a damp cloth. 'She's barely spoken,' the maid holds the lamp, 'for hours and hours...'
'Miss Kawasemi, my name's Aibagawa. I'm a midwife. I want to help.'
Kawasemi's eyes flicker open. She manages a frail sigh. Her eyes shut. She is too exhausted, Orito thinks, even to fear dying tonight.'

'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet' by David Mitchell.

Would you read on?

5 comments:

  1. I would read on. The intro provides a good sense of place and has already drawn me in and makes me wonder what will happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting opener and I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not getting into it yet, but very curious to read more; enjoy and thanks for participating this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to know a little more about the premise of the book before making a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is interesting. I remember this title from some where. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete