Tuesday, September 9, 2014

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday

Hello! Apologises for 1. not been around lately 2. If you can't see everything on my blog, I'm having technical issues at the moment!

This week's 'First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday' (hosted by 'Bibliophile by The Sea') is from a book I want to read, 'Oliver Twist' by Charles Dickens. I have read this, but many years ago and I'm also in the mood to read some Dickens:

'Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born: on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, in this stage of the business at all events: the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.'

'Oliver Twist'- Charles Dickens

Would you read on?

16 comments:

  1. Yes. It is always good to return to the classics from time to time. Dickens was a master of his art as he had to leave his readers wanting to buy the next installment! Lot's of cliffhangers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd read more for sure, in fact I hope to read more classics in the next year. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you can't go wrong with Dickens, although I wouldn't say this is my favorite Dickens opening. Hope you enjoy re-reading Oliver Twist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - hadn't seen this one in awhile! I haven't read it, but did read Great Expectations. This intro really didn't grab me...I've been drawn to simpler writing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this years ago. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been eons since I read this, but the language is definitely captivating. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THEN AND ALWAYS”

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice. Dickens is like comfort food.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/09/first-chapter-first-paragraph-75-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Oliver Twist years ago and really liked it. I love Dickens' writing. At least what I've read so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd forgotten how much the style of writing has changed since Dickens wrote this. No author nowadays could get away with this rambling opening. But I do like it. It sets a mood for this classic tale.
    Here's the link to my Tuesday post: Retirement Can Be Murder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked for the cover of the book. I like the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The classics is where I seem to be lacking. I really need to make an effort to read more of them. Maybe a classics challenge in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds an interesting idea, I wonder how many people would be interesting in also taking part....

      Delete
  12. This is the first classic I've seen featured on Tuesday Intro's for a while! I attempted Oliver Twist at school for a book report but I just couldn't get it to it - it really put me off Dickens. I did love the film/TV adaptations though. Here's my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Read this in high school and loved it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful classic, I should re-read some of them.
    The Pegster Reads

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never did like Dickens so I probably wouldn't start it. Enjoy your book and I'm so sorry about getting around to visiting so late.

    ReplyDelete