Tuesday, January 13, 2015

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday

'First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday' s is hosted by 'Bibliophile By The Sea'. Every Tuesday, you share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book you are reading or thinking about reading soon.

This week's opening paragraph comes from 'A Village Affair' by Joanna Trollope: 

'On the day that contracts were exchanged on the house, Alice Jordan put all three children into the car and went to visit it. Natasha made her usual seven-year-old fuss about her seat-belt, and James was crying because he had lost the toy man who rode his toy stunt motorbike, but the baby lay peaceably in his carrycot and was pleased to be joggling gently along while a fascinating pattern of bare branches flickered through the slanting back window of the car on to his round upturned face. Natasha sang 'Ten Green Bottles' to drown James and James amplified his crying to yelling. Alice switched on the car radio and a steady female voice from 'Woman's Hour' explained calmly to her how to examine herself for any sinister lumps. Mud flew up from the winter lanes and made a gritty veil across the windscreen. James stopped yelling abruptly and put his thumb in his mouth.'

Would you read on? 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a typical day with small children...LOL. I love Trollope's books and haven't yet read this one. I'll be checking it out.

    Here's mine: “ALL DAY AND A NIGHT”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read anything by this author before, but this one sounds good! I can totally relate--and I only have one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great description of modern motherhood! The opening and the title both make me curious. I'd keep reading to find out what happens next.
    My Tuesday post features A LOVE BEYOND.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd keep reading. Sounds like a page out of my own book. I remember when we didn't have to put kids in car seats. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the intro a lot and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember car rides like that. I like the intro. The author made me feel like I was right there with them.

    ReplyDelete